Iron filings and bar magnets work together to make an amazing demonstration of magnetic fields. When they are separated by a piece of paper or a sheet of Plexiglas, the filings align with the magnetic field of the bar magnet in a dramatic way.
But anyone who ever tried to remove iron filings (or small splinters of other magnets) from a magnet after the experiments knows that this can be a very tedious task. I have found a simple solution:
- Let candle wax drip onto a piece of paper.
- Knead the wax while still warm.
- When you press the wax onto the magnet, the filings stick to the wax.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 until all filings have been removed.
- As a final step, you could use a tissue/rag to clean the wax off the magnet.
Caution: Never drip the hot wax directly onto the magnet as the heat would result in a loss of magnetic force!
Magnets Cleaning Methods
Magnet + Iron filings = Fun Magic & Satisfying Experiment